I love/hate McDonalds



Back in 2009 I blogged about McDonalds.  It was my 2nd week of living overseas.  I was desperate for a little bit of home.  I mentioned how much I hate McDonalds.  The food is so gross and I avoided it at all costs.

Fast forward to today.  I went there voluntarily.  By myself.  No, the kids weren't in the car asking for it.  Me.  I wanted it.  True, all I really wanted was a fountain Coca~Cola, but while I was in the drive thru I opted for some chocolate chip cookies also.  No more do they come in a box with tiny dry cookies with a picture of Ronald on the cover.  No, today I received fresh, hot, soft, chocolate chip cookies.  At McDonalds!?

Dave calls it Brand Name Marketing at its finest.  All I know is that I've been a lot of remote places, and there are three things you can always count on 1.)  Starbucks  2.) 7-Eleven  3.) McDonalds.

In Switzerland (where a Big Mac was insanely expensive) I'd usually order in person to try and get someone who spoke English.  One day I was really brave and ordered in French in the drive-thru.  Granted, they got my order wrong, but it was close ;)

In Egypt (where a Big Mac was insanely cheap) I'd have my driver take me and the kids there.  I never did try the McArabia (grilled kofta pita sandwich), but Dave did.


In Kuala Lumpur we celebrated Chinese New Year with the CNY McFizz.  (Orange Juice mixed with Sprite).

At McDs in Cairo with Endicotts.  Love how the hat is over the top of the hijabs.
In Tokyo, we were disappointed that the nuggets still had the chicken skin underneath that fried layer.  Nasty.

As much as I abhor McDonalds, I really do admire them and thank them for being in every country I've ever been in.  Even if I don't always eat there, and I do still try to avoid it -- Hats off to you, McDonalds, today your cookies were just what I needed.

2 comments

Becca said...

That was a very interesting post. I am totally grossed out by the skin on your nuggets in Tokoyo. That is disgusting! Glad you enjoyed a cookie today though. I will have to keep that in mind next time we hit McDonalds. Unfortunately I am sure it will be all too soon again. (Just ate there Tuesday on the drive home from Vegas)

Cath said...

The McDonald's cheeseburger I ate in Cairo still ranks as one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten. Fun post, Shir!