Smiling at Adversity

I awoke to this email in my inbox from my mother-in-law.  Maybe it's the cold I'm battling or just old-fashioned pms, but this has run particularly true the past week.  Thanks Ronda!  I needed this.
 
 
 
"A few days ago, we had a fairly good snowstorm.  Cath brought her kids to sled down the hill--the first we've been able to do this winter.  I could even build a snowman!  However, last night it rained. When I looked out the window, I just had to take a picture of the snowman.  His smile was crooked, one arm was hanging down. He had lost his hat.  I went out to replace his hat, and take another picture. When I put on his hat, HIS HEAD FELL OFF!  "Sorry Mr. Snowman, I was just trying to help!"  
 
His eyes were still intact, however.  (I had replaced them yesterday when they fell out)  I picked up the pieces and went inside.  While I was on my walk, I thought of some interesting analogies.  At the end of the day, do you ever feel like this snowman?  You're trying to smile, but it's forced--somewhat crooked.  Are your arms hanging down with tiredness or discouragement?  And with one last burden of the day, do you lose your head?

Well, we've all been there, and with some time we can even smile at those days.  The snowman's eyes were still intact and open.  Hopefully, we can see that these kind of days come and go, and hopefully we can still smile.  When I looked at the snowman's arms, I thought of the scripture, "Lift up the hands that hang down."  One way to be able to smile at adversity is to help others through their bad days.  THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY A LOVING MOM WHO IS TRYING TO FIND THE BEAUTY IN EACH DAY!"

1 comment

Hilary said...

I love this! I'm so glad you posted it. Thanks. :D