Saturday, September 20, 2008


Yes, we are alive and fine. Hurricane Ike roared through Houston, but left us in pretty good shape -- minus some power. It's been a week now since we've been without power, and the latest report is that our area sustained "extensive damage" to the grid, so we aren't expected to have power until Thursday of next week. Ice remains a hot commodity. Fortunately for us, Dave is now back to work, and can get some frozen while he works. Beats standing in the ice line. Still, the thought of five more days entertaining Maya with no power doesn't sound fun.

I'll attach some pictures I took. Click on any of them to enlarge to see detail. Not as dramatic as those you see on the news, but these are some from our neighborhood.

Our house fared really well. The only evidence anything happened was the tree out front leaned way over. The wind howled really loud all night, but we were thankful Maya slept through the whole thing, even if we didn't.

Saturday morning we walked down to Buffalo Bayou. It was still raining a bit, but the wind had calmed way down. It's hard to describe what the picture is, but pretty much the "river" is actually Allen Parkway. It's the road Dave takes to work. It was about 30 feet underwater, flooded from the storm surge, not really from any amount of rain we got. It took them about 5 days to get the water cleaned out of it. Funny thing, when they did, there was a Land Rover underneath it all.

A view of Buffalo Bayou with downtown in the background. You can see it overflowed its banks onto the road.

No, we didn't find this in the floodwaters. Dave and I decided since we know our power won't be back all weekend, and that the temperatures are supposed to rise, to come to Sea World San Antonio for the weekend. Thus, I am plugged for a few precious days.

Thanks for all your prayers and concern on our behalf. We'll leave you with a parting shot from Shamu.


Valina said...

I'm glad you guys are OK! Sorry to hear you are without power for so long, I think I would go crazy after a few days!
Take care!

Debbie said...

Wow! I can't believe that shot of Allen Parkway! It's good to hear your family is all right, and I hope everything gets back to normal soon.

Me said...

I am so bummed I couldn't spend the weekend with you! And to miss Sea World... how I love Shamu! :) Glad you could get away and plugged in for a bit.. hope you are up and running soon. We all love and miss you -- let's do Christmas shopping....

emilyaaa said...

I'm so glad you guys are okay! And i'm glad you got to get away, too. Those pictures are amazing! And, if i'm not mistaken, that Shamu picture was taken from the "spray zone"--did you guys get soaked?!?! We went to Sea World a few months ago, and i just couldn't bring out the kid in me enough to sit in those seats. I'm officially THAT boring mom, the one i NEVER thought i'd be :)

Glad you're doing well! Hope life gets back to normal soon!

Deb said...

Wow! I can't believe those pictures. It is crazy to think we were running down in the bayou when we were there! Glad you guys are safe! I hope you had a great B-day!

Ingrid said...

I'm happy to hear that you are ok. We were thinking about you... I'd go visit Shamu too! Good choice!