End of School Year

I did it.  I got all of last year's school papers in the albums --  documented -- just in time for the next explosion of stuff....

Although I have these physical products, I opted to do a digital page because it's so much faster for me, and because I was making two of them. Simple Stories School Snap Set


And here's a look at that explosion of what came home this last week of school:



Here's a look at how I did it...
1.  TOSS IT
I immediately go through it and keep only a small amount -- handwriting samples, short stories, and artwork.  Divide it into piles that make sense to you.


2.  SNAP IT - THEN TOSS IT
I lay out all of the artwork and take individual pictures of it.  I keep only a few of my favorites and toss the rest.  Do this when the kids aren't standing by you and put it in a trash can that they won't see it in.


I do keep some of my favorite pieces that will fit into a 12x12 Envelope Pocket.  I have these in the back of my album.  But the majority goes in the trash.



3.  SCAN IT - THEN TOSS IT
An alternative to "snap it," but your results will be a better image.  Better lighting.  Better quality.  But, it takes more time, so I don't do this except for special cases.

If it's extra special and you want to tell a story about it, this was a quick way to get it documented.  I scanned what she had written on the back of the picture to include on the bottom.  Then I cropped her picture down to fit in the space and glued it to the story I had written about it.

This is a modified CZ Design template she offered for free at scrapbookandcards.com

4.  TUCK IT - okay, keep a little bit



This is what I had left over for Ethen.  Still a lot.  But here's where Becky Higgins Envelope Pages come in handy.  They come in different sizes to fit your needs. I like to use them to group similar items together.  I love that they come with a 4x6 label pocket.  Here are some examples of how I used them:

I grouped all of his art and papers that had to do with sharks and stuffed them into this 8.5x11 envelope.  I had to trim the margins off of a few things to get it all to fit, but it is easily accessible.  I then scanned one of his drawings to put in the front 4x6 pocket as a label.


I used the 8.5x11 envelope to put 5 or 6 of Maya's short stories inside.  I trimmed off the top flap so they fit better.

This is an example of a special project.  Maya's diorama was too large to keep.  I took photos of it and then kept her supporting school work to tell the story.

I added a 4x6 tab to get extra pictures and a journaling card to write all the details down.  Again I cut the top off of the envelope so everything would fit and to get easy access to the papers inside.

Here are a few more miscellaneous layouts to round out the end of year stuff that overwhelms us at this time of year, but I love it.For Maya's dance pictures this year, I just ordered the cd.  I hate paying exorbitant prices for large prints that I don't have room for.  This way they can all be on one layout and I could resize as needed.

This is a modified template from Just Jaimee Stoctober 2013 at thelily-pad.com
Candyland stickers from Joann's.  Candyland image from internet.
 The kids end of year gymnastics routine had a fun Candyland theme that was super fun to scrapbook.


I wanted a special page to highlight Dave's first time as a Watchdog Dad.  It was one of their favorite days at school.
Papers and stickers from October Afternoon Milk Money Collection

Papers and stickers from October Afternoon Milk Money Collection

Just Jaimee August2013 Template.  Simple Stories School Snap Set.



Old Becky Higgins school kit - no longer available


2 comments

Deb said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I need to do it like you!

sillyleann said...

Awesome job!!! I love how you did this. I have a similar goal each year. I had a couple of take aways from this post. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this!