Organizational Projects - Part 2

I've only two children, and I'm desperately trying to stay on top of the flood of school papers.  I think KatyISD has a disproportionate amount of homework for elementary schoolchildren, and I finally had to resort to a daily checklist for Maya to ensure math homework, reading homework, and online homework is all turned in on the correct day.  I print it out each week and put in on a clipboard so she can easily reference it.  So far this approach is managing our after-school snack, violin and piano practicing and homework time efficiently.

I've been wanting a "command center" for awhile now.  Dave thinks that is a silly name, but that is what you have to search for to find ideas for homework/office/daily life organization.  I once again scoured pinterest for ideas.  I was patient in waiting for HomeGoods to have the supplies in stock rather than spending up to 150% more from other stores.  They are a great resource for cheap!

This is what I came up with:



The subway art print I made last year and you can find the details here.  The side table came from Target as well as the colorful file folders.  This also comes in red, yellow, and black and it goes on sale often.  The 3-tiered wire file holder, the numbered hook board, and the white wooden file all came from Home Goods.


I also have made a checklist for Maya as she is currently reading books from 25 different series!  Some of these series have a whopping 150 books in them!  I'm having trouble keeping track of what book she needs next and what to look for on library day (I volunteer at her school when she goes to the library.)  My solution was to create a binder that would follow her elementary school reading.  (Yes, she is left-brained like me and loves the organization).


This is fun to keep track of how many books she's read in each grade.  I've kept a list since she was in Kindergarten, but recently compiled it into a color-coded binder.



For her cousins that are her same age, here is a list of books that I've found are good for her level.  I wish there was a good site out there like GoodReads for kids that you can manage bookshelves, but I've not found one that is as comprehensive as GoodReads.  Currently they have age restrictions.  I've found some sites that provide quizzes to answer after each book read (like bookadventure.com).  I like this idea, but they don't have all the books she's reading.  This way I can keep them all in one spot.

MAGIC TREE HOUSE by: Mary Pope Osborne
  Mysteries that take kids magically around the world through their treehouse.

MAGIC TREE HOUSE FACT TRACKERS
  Nonfiction companions to Magic Tree House that differentiate fact from fiction

MY WEIRD SCHOOL by: Dan Gutman
  Annoying to me but the kids think they are funny

MY WEIRD SCHOOL DAZE by: Dan Gutman
  Similar to above but they advance a grade

MY WEIRDER SCHOOL by: Dan Gutman
  Similar to above but they advance a grade

RAINBOW MAGIC by: Daisy Meadows
  Magic Fairies and two girls outsmart goblins.

A to Z MYSTERIES by: Ron Roy
  Mysteries for each letter of the alphabet.

THE CALENDAR MYSTERIES by: Ron Roy
  Mysteries for each month of the year.

THE CAPITOL MYSTERIES by: Ron Roy
  Mysteries that happen at historical sites around Washington DC

LEGO FRIENDS CHAPTER BOOKS
  Lego characters solve friendship problems

CANDY FAIRIES by: Helen Perelman
  Fairies have sweet adventures.

BELIEVE AND YOU’RE THERE by: Alice W. Johnson
  This is an LDS series based on scripture stories

THE ENCHANTED TUNNEL by: Marianne Monson
  This is an LDS series based on Pioneer and scriptures stories

FAIRY REALM by: Emily Rodda
  A girls adventures to a fairy realm where her grandma is queen.

PERFECTLY PRINCESS by: Alyssa Crowne
  These fun stories are printed on colored paper and ink coordinating with the book.

GERONIMO STILTON SERIES
  Mysteries of a mouse and his newspaper.  Super fun illustrations and words.

THEA STILTON SERIES
  Cousin to Geronimo.

CREEPELLA VON CACKLEFUR SERIES
  Spooky and silly mysteries that tie in with Geronimo and Thea.

MAGIC KITTEN by: Sue Bentley
  A lion that masquerades as a helpful kitten.

MAGIC PUPPY  by: Sue Bentley
    Helpful magical animals like Magic Kitten.

MAGIC PONIES by: Sue Bentley
    Helpful magical animals like Magic Kitten.

MAGIC BUNNY by: Sue Bentley
    Helpful magical animals like Magic Kitten.

MAGIC PONY CAROUSEL by: Poppy Shire
  Riding a magic carousel each pony takes her to a different place and time.

LUCKY STARS by: Phoebe Bright
  A charm comes with each book to add to a bracelet you get with book 1.

THE PUPPY PLACE by: Ellen Miles
  All different breeds of dogs.  Each one looking for a loving home.

2 comments

Deb said...

Holy Cow! You amazing! I love the list of books! I'm going to borrow this :)

Deb said...

Oops...You ARE amazing...sounds like I don't read much:)